About My Research

This site serves as a reflection of my graduate thesis work in automotive textile design at North Carolina State University.  I began this site in January 2009 and plan to maintain it until my graduation in December 2009.  I have been in the graduate program at the College of Textiles for 1 year of a 2 year program.  During this first year, I have focused on the automotive industry, design, and sustainability.  Now at the half-way point, I have selected my thesis topic and made plans as to how to approach my research so that my work is complete by October 2009.  In the right column of this blog, I have posted my personal timeline to ensure that I am meeting my deadlines.  Please take time to look through all the information included in the right hand column, especially if this is your first time visiting this site.

The purpose of this site is 3-fold.
1) Most scholars are only given 1 chance to write a thesis, and 2 years to learn how to do so.  Sure there are books on research methods and databases of theses to form a background or starting place for your work, but no one really explains to us exactly what this process is like from start to finish.
2) Over the past year, I have learned beyond my expectations about the automotive industry, past, current, and future.  Throughout my next year of study, I have access to resources that would be coveted by any designer in this industry and plan to uncover valuable correlations between design and success.  I will post many images and articles which I find the most enriching.
and 3) Writing my thoughts and progress where it is publicly available will encourage me to meet deadlines and provide a clear platform to keep my committee informed.

My Topic
I will be examining the history of automotive bodycloth development and aligning this with outside factors such as the economy, increase in mass production, increase in technical standards and regulations, the importance of fashion and color, along with what at this time is an unpredictable number of additional variables.  The ultimate question I aim to answer is if there is a concrete way to measure and predict success in order to save time, money, and resources.

7.06.2009

Color Analysis Scale

Hello from Brooklyn!  
I've spent the past few days absorbing the culture of Brooklyn, New York.  This is certainly a different world from Manhattan and I'm loving it!  I'm staying with a friend from CoT and we've surrounded ourselves with NC kids throughout the weekend.  I just seem to bring beautiful weather with me as its been warm and sunny with a nice breeze- just perfect for lots of time outdoors!  Even though I will still be around until Sunday (switching over to Manhattan on Wednesday), I'm going to have to keep myself indoors for the week as deadlines are approaching!

Below is a color scale I've created in order to categorize the DeLeo/Detroit vinyl swatches for color.  I still haven't exactly figured out how this will be done, as I currently have 124 different color groups.  This chart scale was created based on a digital Munsell scale I found.  The image was pixelated so the colors were not pure, which is why I created my own.  As you can see there are some inconsistencies in gradation of chroma and value, but for the purpose of this study, I am focusing on color trends in a very general perspective and am doing so by creating color groups.  If you have any further suggestions, please let me know!

4 comments:

  1. It in no way ceases to surprise me how, using small additional digging online, it's possible uncover several most special web. It’s irritating that substantially pages such as this, aren’t rated on top ranked after i search with bing concerning the web, Ive added you to definitely certainly certainly certainly certainly certainly certainly certainly my faves, I in addition have a very buddy, that may truly value these particulars, so ill ship her, an internet site for the write-up, inside the same. I'm specific they’ll really enjoyment by using this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your website is good Really, i've encounter your publish which was very informative and extremely entertaining personally. Appreciate posting Really May Be. I'll recommend your website to my pals. Cheers.That's just brilliant! there's nothing simpler but that's the important thing factor factor for your success. I truly adore anything you needed to convey. Continue since you certainly bring a completely new voice by using this subject. It's information I've been trying to find a great super very long time

    ReplyDelete
  3. Precisely what is one able to have belief that relief to find somebody that knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You need to comprehend the simplest approach to light an problem, therefore the distribution are usually essential. Growing amounts of individuals have to see and understand why side inside the story. I'm not able to consider you will not be welcome, because you certainly have talent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! I'm a little bit late to share my experience of shopping With Autoparts-miles I ordered an Used Engine for my old car on my friend suggestion. Where I got 25% off on my purchase. Now my cars performance is very smooth. engines for sales

    ReplyDelete