About My Research

This site serves as a reflection of my graduate thesis work in automotive textile design at North Carolina State University.  I began this site in January 2009 and plan to maintain it until my graduation in December 2009.  I have been in the graduate program at the College of Textiles for 1 year of a 2 year program.  During this first year, I have focused on the automotive industry, design, and sustainability.  Now at the half-way point, I have selected my thesis topic and made plans as to how to approach my research so that my work is complete by October 2009.  In the right column of this blog, I have posted my personal timeline to ensure that I am meeting my deadlines.  Please take time to look through all the information included in the right hand column, especially if this is your first time visiting this site.

The purpose of this site is 3-fold.
1) Most scholars are only given 1 chance to write a thesis, and 2 years to learn how to do so.  Sure there are books on research methods and databases of theses to form a background or starting place for your work, but no one really explains to us exactly what this process is like from start to finish.
2) Over the past year, I have learned beyond my expectations about the automotive industry, past, current, and future.  Throughout my next year of study, I have access to resources that would be coveted by any designer in this industry and plan to uncover valuable correlations between design and success.  I will post many images and articles which I find the most enriching.
and 3) Writing my thoughts and progress where it is publicly available will encourage me to meet deadlines and provide a clear platform to keep my committee informed.

My Topic
I will be examining the history of automotive bodycloth development and aligning this with outside factors such as the economy, increase in mass production, increase in technical standards and regulations, the importance of fashion and color, along with what at this time is an unpredictable number of additional variables.  The ultimate question I aim to answer is if there is a concrete way to measure and predict success in order to save time, money, and resources.

10.25.2010

Keeping current, keeping busy

Hello my dear blog community!

It has been another exciting couple of months.  This post is just a quick summary of some of the most exciting things I've been up to in the automotive, textile, and design worlds.

In addition to my pet care business, the past few months have presented me with opportunities for freelance and part time work within my discipline.

One of these opportunities includes creating conceptual artwork that an automotive textiles supplier plans to use as inspiration for new designs.

I have also been working with my former professor, Vita Plume.  Vita is a Fibers and Surface Designer, and a world-renowned weaver.  She recently recieved a grant from the North Carolina Art Council to produce a body of work.  I have been assisting her as a weaving technician on the College of Design's TC-1 Hand-Jacquard loom.

Additionally, Vescom America has invited me to join their Product Design team.  I will primarily be assisting the team with hands-on screenprinting.  Vescom is a leading developer of interior products for the international market.  This primarily includes vinyl and textile wall coverings.  They offer sustainable, anti-microbial, and high fashion designs for all interior spaces.  I start with Vescom and look forward to learning more about the company and product.  Please check them out: http://www.vescom.com 


Staying current and networking have been my keys to success.  This month, I was able to do both by attending the Inter-Society Color Council annual meeting.  The ISCC was founded in 1931 with the goal of advancing the knowledge of color as it relates to art, science, and industry.  The council provides the unique opportunity to combine experts from each discipline.  Far too often artist, scientists, industrial researchers, and academics do not get to interact.  I find these relationships interesting and valuable, as presented in my thesis research.  It is important that each area works with one another and can "speak the language" of each group.
To learn more about ISCC, check out: http://www.iscc.org/





















I'd also like to thank one of my worldly readers for sharing their website with me, which I will now share with you: http://racing-top.com.es/  
Thanks Javier- great links!

16 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Automative textile design is more advanced than other designer...This design is most fabricative for interior and exterior design .....

    Textile India

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks to clear such important topics perfectly :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I got nice information about Car accessories. Thanks for sharing us...

    Car Scanner & Car Scanners in India

    ReplyDelete
  5. Textile Designing Institutes in Chandigarh

    I read your Blog post. First of all thanks for sharing such a great post on textile designing.
    About me:
    We are the Textile Designing Institutes in Chandigarh and offering all textile designing courses in Chandigarh.
    You can take a look on our website: Textile Designing Institutes in Chandigarh

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing article on textile designing. Really Nice Post. We are Textile Designing Institute in Chandigarh & offering bachelors as well as masters in fashion designing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a truly good site post. Not too many people would actually, the way you just did. I am really impressed that there is so much information about this subject that have been uncovered and you’ve done your best, with so much class. If wanted to know more about green smoke reviews, than by all means come in and check our stuff. Super ceramic coating

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, What an Outstanding post. I found this too much informatics. It is what I was seeking for. I would like to recommend you that please keep sharing such type of info.If possible, Thanks. centralina aggiuntiva giulietta

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  12. https://karenrauchcarter.com/
    The Feng Shui aces have acceptance you the specialized objection for assessing your dwelling. Actualizing the Feng Shui Design and fixes in your dwelling profoundly affects your energy. In view of the pass sky and practices, Feng Shui is a perplexing lifestyle that encourages you to assimilate the unadulterated powers of the universe. All the otherworldly standards of the Feng Shui likewise have a sealed critical creation hidden it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks for the blog loaded with so many information. Stopping by your blog helped me to get what I was looking for. centralina bmw serie 3

    ReplyDelete
  14. "It doesn't matter who your customers are or what you are selling, a website has become today's standard calling card.
    But unless you're a seasoned web professional, the idea of building your own site can be overwhelming" small web design

    ReplyDelete