About My Research

This site serves as a reflection of my graduate thesis work in automotive textile design at North Carolina State University.  I began this site in January 2009 and plan to maintain it until my graduation in December 2009.  I have been in the graduate program at the College of Textiles for 1 year of a 2 year program.  During this first year, I have focused on the automotive industry, design, and sustainability.  Now at the half-way point, I have selected my thesis topic and made plans as to how to approach my research so that my work is complete by October 2009.  In the right column of this blog, I have posted my personal timeline to ensure that I am meeting my deadlines.  Please take time to look through all the information included in the right hand column, especially if this is your first time visiting this site.

The purpose of this site is 3-fold.
1) Most scholars are only given 1 chance to write a thesis, and 2 years to learn how to do so.  Sure there are books on research methods and databases of theses to form a background or starting place for your work, but no one really explains to us exactly what this process is like from start to finish.
2) Over the past year, I have learned beyond my expectations about the automotive industry, past, current, and future.  Throughout my next year of study, I have access to resources that would be coveted by any designer in this industry and plan to uncover valuable correlations between design and success.  I will post many images and articles which I find the most enriching.
and 3) Writing my thoughts and progress where it is publicly available will encourage me to meet deadlines and provide a clear platform to keep my committee informed.

My Topic
I will be examining the history of automotive bodycloth development and aligning this with outside factors such as the economy, increase in mass production, increase in technical standards and regulations, the importance of fashion and color, along with what at this time is an unpredictable number of additional variables.  The ultimate question I aim to answer is if there is a concrete way to measure and predict success in order to save time, money, and resources.

1.20.2009

2009 Favorites














Lincoln C Concept: compact luxury.
By far the most innovative, and attractive, interior.  Keeping in mind that sustainability is not just a trend, but a must, the C is dressed in banana-leaf mats, recyclable, chromium-free leather, and soy memory foam seats, which result in 1/4 of the environmental impact of petroleum-based foam, and a significant weight reduction.    I loved the simplicity of the seats and the subtle etched floral design found asymmetrically about the car.  Of course this vehicle has all the bells and  whistles necessary for the car of the future (such as thumb controls on the steering wheel for the GPS and music)...but my favorite overall feature is the light gray (recycled) wood veneer accented with shiny chrome and contrasted against the white leather instrument panel and door panels and Alcantara suede headliner. 

Cadillac Converjbattery-powered refinement.
At my first NAIAS's, in 2002 I oowed over the 12-cylinder Cien, in 2003, I awed over the 1000 hp Sixteen, and now, 6 years later, GM's pride in joy is 4-cylinders and a battery (Voltec)- which can still push 100 mph.  Like the C, the Converj aims to achieve sustainability and style.  This luxury vehicle is also much smaller than those seen in the past, yet retains the luxury one expects from a Cadillac.  The interior carries the environmental theme with renewable materials such as wool-blend carpeting, a headliner made from silk, and suede made from post-industrial content, which all blend in black, white, polished aluminum and wood grain accents.  Elegant inside and out, this vehicle seems like it will be a good compromise for the horse-power hungry environmentalist.

















Volvo S60 Concept: unpretentious, yet dynamic.
I have been a huge fan of Volvo's more modern image since they first revamped the S40 in the 2005 models.  They then extended this smoother style through the rest of their vehicle line up, and have now caught my eye again with the S60 Concept.  Volvo has always been the epitome of transportation safety, and they once again made sure this was a primary focus with adaptation cruise control, collision warning with auto break, and pedestrian detection.  But it wasn't the safety features that had me running across the room for a closer look- it was the color!  Resembling a sculpture in clay, the S60 poetically floats amongst the production vehicles, but the interior is really a site to be seen.  
 The seats utilize a slender, lightweight, design which echo the floating center stack.  The floor and lower parts of the doors are "ecologically tanned" leather and genuine blond birch wood is used across the top of the doors.   The glass roof, crystal center-console, and use of LED lighting also offer an interesting milieu of refinement, but is perhaps a little over-the-top in this eco-friendly age.  I am also a little weary of of the shape of the seats, which reflect the interior design elements well, but are just not inviting.  It can be assumed that all of these elements will be significantly toned-down in the 2010 production model.

Chevrolet Spark: the ultimate in green.
The Korean-designed Spark will soon be introduced to the US market (2011), and I can only hope that this brilliant green will also be included in the product line.  Designed after the 2007 Beat Concept, this vehicle is sure to be a success with the younger crowd, especially if they open-up to high customization, and funky designs like on the interior of this one.  














Lotus: Yep, I thought these looked familiar.  
No new models released at this show (I saw these in Chicago last year)...but you still can't help but love them :)

















Tesla: they do exist.
The California-based automaker introduced its new all-electric Roadster, capable of 0-60 mph in 3.9 seconds, and a 244-mile range on a single lithium-ion battery charge.  And if it looks familiar...Lotus Cars helped design and provided the chassis for this little devil.














1 comment: