About My Research

This site serves as a reflection of my graduate thesis work in automotive textile design at North Carolina State University.  I began this site in January 2009 and plan to maintain it until my graduation in December 2009.  I have been in the graduate program at the College of Textiles for 1 year of a 2 year program.  During this first year, I have focused on the automotive industry, design, and sustainability.  Now at the half-way point, I have selected my thesis topic and made plans as to how to approach my research so that my work is complete by October 2009.  In the right column of this blog, I have posted my personal timeline to ensure that I am meeting my deadlines.  Please take time to look through all the information included in the right hand column, especially if this is your first time visiting this site.

The purpose of this site is 3-fold.
1) Most scholars are only given 1 chance to write a thesis, and 2 years to learn how to do so.  Sure there are books on research methods and databases of theses to form a background or starting place for your work, but no one really explains to us exactly what this process is like from start to finish.
2) Over the past year, I have learned beyond my expectations about the automotive industry, past, current, and future.  Throughout my next year of study, I have access to resources that would be coveted by any designer in this industry and plan to uncover valuable correlations between design and success.  I will post many images and articles which I find the most enriching.
and 3) Writing my thoughts and progress where it is publicly available will encourage me to meet deadlines and provide a clear platform to keep my committee informed.

My Topic
I will be examining the history of automotive bodycloth development and aligning this with outside factors such as the economy, increase in mass production, increase in technical standards and regulations, the importance of fashion and color, along with what at this time is an unpredictable number of additional variables.  The ultimate question I aim to answer is if there is a concrete way to measure and predict success in order to save time, money, and resources.

1.13.2009

The Starting Place

I am relatively new to the world of blogs.  Over the years I have been introduced to blogging during my research but have only come across these resources through google and image searches.  I have often been fascinated by the links, images, and collection of thoughts on these sites, but hadn't become a follower of any until recently.  I feel that it is certainly worth me giving a shout-out to those who have inspired me to blog and to the right I have included some links of my favorites.  

First of all, Emily Hanhan- Emily, you may not realize it, but your journey over the past year and half, and your willingness to share it with the world has been utterly inspiring.  Keep doing what you're doing, motivating those around you, designing and reporting on fashion world-wide, and being an awesome friend!  www.ncsuemme.blogspot.com


The next blogger I began to follow avidly, seriously tracing their blog back to its beginning 5 months prior to when I first began reading is Joe Harmon's.  Joe is the designer of the all wooden conceptual supercar.  Joe's daily posts are very technical and detailed about every step in designing and building this one of a kind vehicle.  His ultimate goal is to share his knowledge and experiences with all interested.  In March 2008, I began helping Joe's team with the project, initially researching seating options and eventually wet-sanding to my heart's content.  I'll let his site talk about that project...but it is DEFINITELY worth checking out!  www.joeharmon.blogspot.com



My next inspiration isn't a blogger herself, but she certainly encouraged me to keep one revolving around my Summer 2008 study in Japan.  Nancy Powell is my graduate professor and advisor.   When she suggests I try something- I do it.  Even if at first I am hesitant, or we do not discuss it in length prior to taking what ever opportunity it may be on, I know that Nancy's suggestions will greatly add to the value of my education and experiences.  While in Japan, I studied Automotive Engineering with a group of international students at Nagoya University.  Every day was a fascinating new experience- if you have not checked this blog out before, it is still running.  I'd like to think its interesting for any reader, but it is especially valuable for anyone interested in visiting or studying in Japan.  www.jennasjapan.blogspot.com


Finally, and very recently, I'd like to mention Diana Razulis.  Diana is a fellow graduate of the Anni Albers program who I reconnected with at a recent conference.  She has been keeping a blog that reflects on art and design, textiles, photography, antiques, and anything she finds interesting.  Diana explained to me that she blogs daily, has subscribers, and fully commits herself to this experience.  I am sure that I will have many more questions for Diana in the future, but in the mean time, be sure to check out her site.  www.pleasesirblog.blogspot.com


At this point, I am not really sure where this blog will take me.  I'd love to do as Diana has done and introduce you to what I find interesting about this world and what inspires me.  Unfortunately I am on a very intense graduate study program and keeping this blog is just another extracurricular (if you will) and has a lot to do with my personal needs.  I think what I can offer is a look into my experience of researching and writing a thesis, share many of my resources along the way, and introduce some of my most fascinating new findings in automotive textiles.  

I hope that this blog is helpful to many of you on a similar path, interesting for those in the automotive or textile industries, or who knows...maybe some of you will even learn something new :)

No comments:

Post a Comment